This recipe was passed down by my mother-in-law. Ever since Cason made this dish for me, I don't order it in a Jap restaurant anymore. This Jap chicken & egg rice is simple and easy to do at home.
Oyaku Don Sauce:
- 4 Bowls of Water
- 1 Bowl of Mirin
- 1 Bowl of Kikoman Soya Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Japanese Fish Powder (similar to those used in Miso Soup)
- 3 Tsp Sugar
- Wash and cook 3 cups of Japanese rice
- 200g Chicken Thigh (Cut into cubes)
- 1 Large Onion (Sliced)
- 5 Eggs (Stir, do not over-beat)
- 1 Carrot (Cut into strips) - Optional
- 3 Shitake Mushroom - Optional
- 1 Red Chili (Remove seeds & Sliced)
- A handful of Seaweed strips
- A dash of Jap chili powder
1) Pour 1 ladle of Oyaku Don sauce to the mini pan*.
2) Add 1/4 of Onion, carrots, chicken and mushrooms, cover with a lid & boil at high heat.
3) Once it boils, add some beaten egg.
4) Scoop the desired amount of rice into a deep bowl.
5) Once the egg is cooked, turn off heat and slowly slide the cooked mixture over the rice.
6) Garnish with red chili, seaweed strips and chili powder.
7) Repeat this 3 more times to serve 4 persons. Serve hot.
* This mini pan is sold in Daiso for only $2. You will need to get the cover too. (Both 16inches)