1 medium Yam (About 400g) - Cut into slices
150-200g Tapioca Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Tabespoon of Oil
1) Steam the yam slices until it softens.
2) Mash the yam while it is hot. Add the above ingredients gradually, you may not need to use all the flour.
3) Once you have a soft dough, pinch a little and roll it into a ball. Use your thumb to make an insertion to resemble an abacus seed.
4) Bring a pot of water to boil and place the abacus seeds to cook. Once it floats to the surface of the water, it is ready.
5) Quickly immerse the cooked abacus seeds into a basin of cold water.
6) Place them over a strainer to dry.
100g Minced Meat
50g Dried shrimps (Soak in water to soften)
1 Yellow Dried Beancurd - Cut into stripes
3-5 Cloves of Garlic - Chopped finely
3-5 Shallots - Sliced
8 - 10 Dried Chinese Mushroom (Soak in water to soften, retain the water. Cut into stripes)
1/4 Dried Cuttlefish (Cut into stripes and soak in water to soften)
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Pepper
1 Tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
2-3 Sprig of Spring Onions
2-3 Fresh Red Chili
1) Heat the oil and fry the garlic and shallots till fragrant.
2) Add the dried shrimps, followed by minced meat. Cook for about 5 mins.
3) Add in Beancurd, Chinese Mushroom and dried cuttlefish.
4) Lastly, add in the abacus seeds and stir fry for 5 minutes.
5) Flavour with pepper, salt and oyster sauce. Add in some of the water used for soaking mushroom. Cook for another 5 mins and it'll be ready.
5) Garnish with chopped spring onions, fresh red chili and crispy shallots.